Friday, February 12, 2010

The Penalty Box - How an addon helped me with those /palm moments

So it seems that I have already broken the "I'm going to post more in 2010" resolution... Sigh. I'm back - I had some major work related things happen in the first month of 2010 that left me exhausted to write during lunch hours or after work. Things seem to have calmed down a bit now so I figured I'd finish a post I started literally the second week of January.

So I had a suggestion from a couple of guildies to add a /sigh rank to our roster. This would be for players who you just "sigh" at and need a place to put them in time out for a bit. Although I don't think we will implement something like this, it really isn't my style of leading  We ended up implementing something similar to this called the "Penalty Box" after a couple of "wowzers" and it did remind me that there is this nifty addon that I have used in the past to rework and rearrange the ranks in the guild when I had to add one right in the middle or something.
GuildReRank is an addon to adjust and move groups of people around. Nice when you decide that you want a banker rank or want to add a special rank in your guild right smack dab in the middle of the 8 other ranks.

Since Blizzard only allows you to add a rank right at the bottom, moving players manually up and down (especially if you were adding an alt rank or something similar) can get quite time consuming and perhaps confusing. Using GuildReRank moves large numbers of players up and down the ranks with ease.

Here's how I added a few ranks to my rosters and used GuildReRank to do it:

Ranks I had:

Guild Master (1)
Assistant Guild Master (1)
Banker (1)
Officer (4)
Veteran Raider (15)
Raider (18)
Applicants (5)
Friends & Family (lots of alts and friends)

I wanted:

Guild Master (1)
Assistant Guild Master (1)
Banker (1)
Officer (4)
Recruiter (2)
Veteran Raider (15)
Raider (18)
Applicants (5)
Friends & Family (lots of alts and friends)
Penalty Box (my now personal favourite - empty until needed)

Using the Guild Options menu in game I created 2 new ranks at the bottom of the rank list and named them as the two bottom ranks I wanted appear above - Penalty Box and Friends & Family. I then slowly and carefully renamed the rest of the ranks above it to reflect the above list. I then had to move the players around using the tool.

The tool allows you to move an entire group of players up and down the ranks. That doesn't mean you can blindly move ranks around with disregard. In order for you to "rerank" properly you have to start from the bottom up.


For example, I moved my "Friends & Family" ranked players who were now sitting in the new "Raider" rank, for the time being, down to the proper rank first using the tool. (see example below) Then, I moved my "Applicants" down to the new Applicant rank next and so on and so forth. I made sure I notified my guild, in guild chat, before hand as the "demotion" spam would fill up people's screen as well as the guild log - There was no need to alarm anyone.


As you can see above, the arrows that are highlighted show which ranks you can move around. Greyed out ranks are unmovable. It is very important to remember to make sure the rank you are moving a group of people to has no one else in it before you move them - otherwise you will be blending two ranks together. (That is, unless you mean to blend two ranks together)

In any case, I have used GuildReRank many times in After Midnight and Ascendence so far - it really is one of those time saving tools when you need to restructure a little bit and tweak things from a guild operations stand point.

No comments:

Post a Comment